My Adventures on the Ice

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Back to MAC town (McMurdo)

Well I am back in McMurdo now. I have been here for a week now. The South Pole was absolutely amazing. The vast platou, where all you can see is white for miles and miles, is definately a site to see. I can not tell you how beautiful it was there. I got to stay an extra day, because the weather back in McMurdo was bad, they couldnt fly to come pick us up. While I was there I had the opportunity to explore some of the underground tunnels that surround the station, I got to decorate Christmas cookies, and help make the Christmas pies. This was an awesome time. I took a few pictures while I was there, some of me at the Geographical and Ceremonial South Poles. These are 2 different poles. The Geographical South Pole moves slighly everyday. They move the pole once a year, January 1st, this year the Geographic pole is within 50 feet of the ceremonial pole.

While there I walked around the world, this was cool to do. Someone asked me if I was standing at the South Pole what was due North of me. Well the answer to that question... EVERYTHING if I were to walk straight up, I would get to go anywhere in the World. The South Pole is located at 90 degrees South Latitude.





5 Comments:

  • wow, i am learning sooo much! i love your cute south pole pic. you look awesome!!

    By Blogger Ashley, at 1/09/2006 8:49 AM  

  • Hey, how are you not falling off?! You do know that the world is flat and you are on the bottom?! What is keeping you stuck on here?! Oh, I know, some kind of snow shoes! LOL! Hope you still have all your fingers and toes! No frostbite yet, right?!

    By Blogger Ryan & Julie, at 1/09/2006 11:50 AM  

  • great to hear from you. love reading your updates

    By Blogger Tamara B, at 1/11/2006 2:12 PM  

  • So jealous of all the fun places you're visiting and things you're seeing...can I come visit?? haha. Well, update me and let me know how things are goin!!

    Miss ya!

    By Blogger jerelyn, at 2/07/2006 4:59 AM  

  • Katie - so good to SEE you in these awesome pictures! I must say, however, that you don't look all that warm! The clothes you have son must be excellent because I'd expect you to be all bundled up :)

    By Blogger Kristin, at 2/18/2006 9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home