My Adventures on the Ice

Sunday, March 19, 2006

South Island to North Island

Oh My Gosh!!! The last 3 and 1/2 weeks have FLOWN by. I have done and seen so much, but there is also SOOOO MUCH more to see here. I have been to several places and seen about half of the the NZ country side. I spent 2 1/2 weeks on the South Island and from the 15th of March to now I have been on the North Island.

The South Island was amazing. I spent time in Dunedin, Akaroa, Christchuch, Nelson, and in the Abel Tasman National Park. The Last time I posted I had been to all but Nelson and Abel Tasman National Park. Nelson was merely the place I stayed before and after my trip on the Abel Tasman. I took a 3 day/2 night kayak trip on the Abel Tasman. Along with 25km of kayaking in 3 days we also spent time swimming in the blue green water and the golden sandy beaches but we got out and did short tramps to some incredible lookouts. The company I went with supplied the camping gear (although, I would have like my own in hindsight), the kayaks, the camping fees, the waterproof gear and everything else that is needed. I was suprised at the fact that I wasnt sore like I expected to be. It was such a beautiful trip, the weather was incredible and the sites were undescrible (pictures will follow when I get to a place I can put them on here). After this trip I got back on a bus and went back to Christchurch, and flew up to Auckland.

After I arrived in Auckland I had arranged for a trip to the furthest north place in NZ, Cape Reinga and the Bay of Islands. This was a very beautiful place. After arriving to Paihia (Bay of Islands) I then spend the entire next day traveling up to Cape Reinga and traveling down 90 mile beach and sandboarding down huge sand dunes. I then returned to Paihia and then went for a horse back ride through the bush, this was kind of boring, since it was just a trail ride, but it was really nice to see the country side in a different way. It was really cool to be on a horse for the first time in a long time, I miss it, and I cant wait to get home and ride Missy. After riding I relaxed by the beach for the rest of the afternoon. The next day I woke up and had to check out of the hostel I was staying at, but even after checking out you can still use the facilities and they also store your bags for you. Well I went down to the back and laid out for a while. I got on my bus to head back to Auckland around 1:30 and we got back to Auckland around 5pm.

I am packed and ready to travel back to the states. I will be in LA for 22 hours before I fly to Virginia to pick Rocky up. I will be out there for 1 week and then I will be back in CA on the 29th. I will be driving from LA to Fresno when I get back. I am really looking forward to getting back to Fresno, I am looking forward to getting back to everyday life and seeing friends and family.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home